Monday, April 18, 2011

How to have a Butterfly Party (Butterfly Pinata)

My daughter wanted a butterfly party this year so we came up with some fun things to do for her party. First I decided that, if I could make a disco ball pinata, then a butterfly pinata was MAKEABLE so, I went for it.



1. Draw a butterfly on cardboard and cut out with a craft knife. Make 2.



2. Cut small strips of cardboard and tape around inside edges of butterfly to hold shape.
3. Make a paper mache paste of 1 part flour and 2 parts water. Take small strips of newspaper and dip into paste wiping off excess, and cover entire pinata. I hang the pinata on something while I do this with the paste bowl underneath so it can drip. Let dry. Cover entire pinata again. I only did two layers and it was still pretty hard to brake. Next time I might cut holes or something in the big cardboard parts to make it more fragile. 4. Glue crepe paper over the whole pinata. 5. Glue crepe paper on again, layering evenly around it. Glue only the top of the crepe paper to layer. 6. Use craft paper and pipe cleaners to design the butterfly. Then cut a hole in the top and fill with candy. (You will definitely need something harder than a foam bat.)

2 comments: